Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Big Sur on Labor Day

Ah, Labor Day! A day we celebrate by NOT WORKING. Seems backward to me but I’m not complaining. I packed my beef jerky, banana bread and sunscreen and headed off to Big Sur for a day of hiking and/or exploring. On the way down the coast, the fog held onto the coastal mountains by its fingernails.





The brown stuff is not mud, but kelp. I was hoping to see some otters or whales, but it didn’t happen. The color of the water was unbelievable. These pictures just do not capture it.

Arriving at Big Sur, we started up the Valley View trail. There is indeed a valley, and the view is well worth it when you get to the top.




The trail is clearly marked. Wandering off trail is not recommended.



One thing Big Sur has a lot of is trees.



Big trees.



Really big trees.


I may have missed out on otters or whales, but I did see some wildlife. Arriving at Pfeiffer Falls, I spotted the all-too-common Idiot Picnicker. Since when it is okay to eat your lunch in front of the main attraction? These people made it impossible to get a clear photograph of the falls.





I had to settle for these little falls at the end of the trail.


There are also small plants in the forest. Clover and ferns.





This is what happens when you stand still too long.


















Another trail leads to McWay Falls. These falls flow down onto a private beach. At least, it’s supposed to be private. Here we see the rare and elusive Dumbass Kayaker. Honestly, can’t a person get a decent photo?


After much maneuvering, I succeeded in getting some nice beach photos. This is the most amazing water I have ever seen.













This place was once the location of Waterfall House, the former residence of Lathrop and Helen Hooper Brown. If this were my view, I would never leave the house. Ever.

All that is left of the house are a few walls, a limestone terrace and the remains of the garden Mrs. Brown planted. The pink flowers are called “Naked Ladies.” Nobody told me there would be nudity on this hike.






1 comment:

  1. The ladies are "naked" because they have no leaves. The greenery comes up in the spring then dies out. A few months later the flowers come up. If you transplant them at the wrong time the plant will not bloom for at least two years. Huffy!

    I have hiked that trail and danced on that beach many times. It's a fantastic place. I wish I could have seen the garden (and if I owned the land I would have never left either).

    ReplyDelete