Saturday, March 6, 2010

Bye Bye Babies

Well, the babies are gone. They will be three weeks old tomorrow and in one more week they will be ready to find new homes. I was originally going to take them back to the shelter I adopted Mom from, but then after closely reading their website, I discovered that if the babies weren't adopted, they might be euthanized. I couldn't do that to them. I have great sympathy for the people who run the shelter. They mean well but it's so easy to get overwhelmed. Much as I love animals, I don't think I could do that job.

So, I decided to see if there was a rescue group in the area that specialized in small animals. After a brief web search, I found the wonderful folks at North Star Rescue. They find homes for rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, mice, and hamsters. They keep the animals as long as it takes to find homes for them. I contacted them and they said they would take the babies. I delivered them today. They promised me they would keep me informed as to their status.



I already miss them. Mom seems relieved and a bit ragged around the edges. She's sleeping peacefully for the first time in three weeks. Goodbye babies! Good luck. I hope you all find homes. One last view:

It's been quite an experience.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I liked the part where they were mugging their mother. The dual wheel was fun too. What darlings. I'm glad you found a no kill shelter. It's a job I could not do.

    ReplyDelete