In my relentless quest to be noticed by the legitimate journalism community, I participated in this weekend's CNN iReport Weekend Assignment. It's called A Walk In Our Shoes. The assignment was to provide a one-minute video clip of me taking a walk somewhere that means something to me. After the deadline passes, CNN will string all the videos together to create a virtual "walk around the globe". Pretty neat. (I could think of that. People get paid for this?)
Every good journalist knows that in order to get noticed, you must stand out; do something to elevate yourself above the pack - the "common rabble" as they are sometimes called, rather unkindly. My solution was to go for the lowest common denominator: cute, furry critters. Who can resist cute, furry critters? I filmed not myself taking a walk, but my hamster, Blanca. Newly liberated from her offspring, she is anxious to get back in the public eye before people forget about her. And thus, a star is born.
My cunning plan worked! Here is a link to the CNN iReport page. (Note the very cool CNN logo in the corner of the video. This means it was seen by an actual producer and will be used by CNN!) She's a hit! People left comments! They like her, they really, really like her. I hope all this exposure doesn't go to her head. Already I hear the demands for Cheerios and a bigger trailer.
There is nothing worse than a hamster with an ego. You must nip this in the bud.
ReplyDelete